Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Fun with UPS

This is completely unrelated to atheism... but hey, it's my blog. I can vent.

When I left work today I discovered that I had a voice mail from UPS, saying that they'd attempted to make a delivery of a package that required my signature. Since I wasn't home, they would leave a note on my door with information and instructions for picking it up.

I got home to discover that the note was curiously absent.

The package having been sent from the UK, I only had a Royal Mail reference number to track the package - I had no UPS tracking number. After an hour or so of frustration at trying (to no avail) to determine my tracking number through the UPS website, I received another automated call from UPS. It gave me a menu of options, one of which was to be reminded of my tracking number! Aha!

But my luck being as it is, I was in the middle of a thunderstorm, and I'm lucky to get two bars at best when the weather isn't so oppressive. After three digits of the tracking number, the call cut out. I redialed the number of the automated message, only to be informed that I had received a call from that number because a delivery attempt had failed. (Wow, really? I had no idea!) I haven't been called by that number again since.

Next I decided to check with the local UPS store, which is only about five minutes from my apartment. No luck. In fact, the store employee told me rather curtly, regarding the automated message, that "that's got nothing to do with us."

I called the international shipping customer service number. They took my name, address, and phone number, typed merrily away into their system, and lo and behold, nothing came up for me. I can only assume that this is because it was before the trucks checked in for the evening, though it seems like they should be able to submit delivery attempts remotely... In any case, they couldn't help me. They told me they'd check with the local UPS store. Hooray!

Maybe I'll get the package eventually...